Tuesday, September 5, 2017

TCM Star of the month September 2017: Jennifer Jones


Jennifer Jones in Portrait of Jennie (1948); Sept. 12 at 8:00 PM

Now that we're in the first full week of a new month, it's time for a new Star of the Month. This time, it's Jennifer Jones, and her movies will be airing on Tuesdays in prime time. The picture above is from Portrait of Jennie; that's going to be on next week. This week starts off with Jones' Oscar-winning role in The Song of Bernadette at 8:00 PM, which isn't one of my favorite movies, but you can understand why TCM would run it right at 8:00 PM.

I'm not a fan of Cluny Brown, but I know a lot of people are fans of Ernst Lubitsch in general, so they may like this one too. (Not that I dislike Lubitsh; I just didn't care for this one. But I'm not quite as much of a Jennifer Jones fan.) Cluny Brown will be on overnight at 1:00 AM.

If I were going to mention one movie in tonight's lineup for its quality, it would probably be Since You Went Away, early tomorrow at 5:30 AM.

1 comment:

joel65913 said...

Even though I have somehow over time managed to see all of her films, probably because of Selznick's determination to make her a great star her films almost without exception are high grade fare, Jennifer Jones is one classic era star who I find eminently risible. I've watched her various films thinking...well maybe this one will explain her allure to me, but no go. I do love Since You Went Away but it's despite her presence rather than because of it.

I don't think I've seen one performance of hers that I didn't think another actress could have done a better job of. Her emoting is always very synthetic. Well I did think she was okay in The Towering Inferno but that really only required her to be dignified and classy which despite my indifference to her she was.