Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Fay Wray Day on TCM

Tomorrow, August 4, sees a full day of Fay Wray movies on TCM. Now, of course Wray is best known from King Kong, in which the eighth wonder of the world falls in love with her and carries her to the top of the Empire State Building. You can catch that at 10:00 PM tomorrow.

Prime time is starting at 8:00 PM with The Wedding March, a silent movie which I have to admit I hadn't heard of before; reviews claim that it's quite good if you're into silent movies.

Actually there are quite a few movies in the day's lineup that I haven't seen before, and would record if it weren't for the fact that my DVR is down to like 3% free space which means I've only got space for about two movies. There's an early talkie called Thunderbolt at midnight, and a later movie called Wildcat Bus at 9:00 AM that sounds vaguely familiar, except that there's another bus-themed movie from the time period that is the one I have in mind. (I know the one I have in mind is a Warner Bros. movie; Wildcat Bus is RKO.)

As for those I have seen, I'd mention The Clairvoyant, which you can see at 3:45 PM. TCM doesn't show this one very often since it was made in the UK, but it's pretty good. Claude Rains plays the title role, a music-hall mentalist married to show partner Wray who gets real psychic powers when he's in the presence of one particular other woman. I did a one-paragraph synopsis of it back in March 2010, as you can see from the link. Interestingly, that post was titled "Miss Cleo", after one of those phony TV-advertising psychics. She died last week at the age of 53.

No comments: