Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A Corner in Wheat

I was going to post today about the birthday of actor Jean Gabin, but it turns out that I already did that in 2014. I suppose I could talk about tonight being a night of Bob's Picks on TCM -- or is that tomorrow; I'll have to look it up again -- except of course that Robert Osborne isn't going to be there to present the picks. So I decided to think about some old silents that are in the public domain.

With that in mind, I'm posting an early D.W. Griffith effort, A Corner in Wheat. This 1909 short is about a man who tries to corner the market in wheat, which would of course make him a wealthy man. That attempt, of course, has consequences. The one actor you might be likely to recognize is Henry B. Walthall, who plays the assistant to the "Wheat King".

No comments: