Sunday, January 31, 2016

Obituaries I probably should have noticed

A couple of people died in the past few days who probably deserve at least a brief mention:

Jacques Rivette. Rivette, who died on Friday at the age of 87, was a French director who was part of the French New Wave movement that certainly changed American perceptions of French cinema regardless of whatever else it did or didn't do. I have to admit that Rivette is one of the New Wave directors I knew very little about since the French New Wave isn't particularly my thing. The title Celine and Julie Go Boating sounds vaguely familiar, but that would only be from seeing show up on a TCM schedule or something since I know I haven't seen it after looking at the the synopsis.

Frank Finlay. Finlay died on Saturday at the age of 89. He was a British actor who, seemingly like a lot of the British actors, did a fair amount of work on the stage as well as in dramas for the BBC. But he had smaller roles in quite a few movies too, with bigger roles in the 1973 version of The Three Musketeers as Porthos, and an Oscar-nominated turn as Iago in Laurence Olivier's 1965 version of Othello. There's yet another Shakespeare adaptation I haven't seen.

No comments: