Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Briefs for April 8, 2014

TCM already ran a TCM Remembers piece on Mickey Rooney, which stated at the end that the programming salue for Mickey Rooney will be a 24-hour salute on April 13, which is this Sunday. Boys Town and Men of Boys Town were already scheduled to air in prime time on Sunday, although I presume Ben Mankiewicz or Robert Osborne will have to record a new intro for those two. With the TCM Film Festival being this weekend, I'd bet everybody's scrambling for time. Supposedly there's also going to be a tribute at the Film Festival, although I'm not going to be there.

Mary Anderson died over the weekend at age 96. Most mentions of her make the biggest mention of her having been in Gone With the Wind, as Maybelle Merriwether, a role I have to admit I don't remember at all. I will also admit, however, that Gone With the Wind is a movie I don't watch all that often, and with a hugh cast of characters, it's easy to miss a small part like that. Anderson also played the nurse in Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat.

The Fan Programmers return tonight. I wasn't certain if I had blogged about The Catered Affair (8:00 PM) before, but apparently I did last January. TCM says that you can't get Witness for the Prosecution (9:45 PM) from the TCM Shop. Amazon lists it, but it does look like the DVDs are out of print.

Around the World in California is showing up again on the TCM schedule, a little after 9:00 AM tomorrow. Or, more specifically, it'll be on sometime after Kid Glove Killer (7:45 AM, 75 minutes). Kid Glove Killer itself is well worth watching if you haven't seen it before, and as far as I know hasn't been released to DVD via the Warner Archive.

No comments: